Friday, January 2, 2009

You too can make Cafe Rio! :~)

I just updated this with a few changes.....
I have had a few people ask me for this recipe, so I'm just going to post it and save some time! It seems like everyone has their own favorite version of this, but this one is our favorite!
Café Rio
Café Rio Meat

1 ½ c. salsa
1- 1 ½ c. brown sugar
1 can pop (I’ve tried sprite, root beer, etc. most work-grape or orange may taste strange though!)
3-4 pounds meat (roast, pork, chicken)
Sprinkle meat lightly with garlic powder/salt and onion powder/salt. Brown each side in hot oiled pan. Place meat in crock pot. Cook on high for 4 hours. Drain meat and shred. Place other ingredients in crock pot and cook on high for 4 hours on low.

Café Rio Rice
6 c. water ¾ t. salt
4 t. chicken bouillon ½ onion, chopped
4 t. minced garlic 3 c. rice
½ bunch cilantro leaves 1 can chilies
Lime, optional- or use lime juice
Blend cilantro, chilies, and onion in blender. Bring water to boil and add rice. Simmer covered for approx. 30 min, or until almost done. Add cilantro mixture and cook until done. Squeeze fresh lime juice on top.(This makes a HUGE amount of rice. We have it for a couple of meals and I freeze the rest.)

I also use this recipe for rice sometimes-probably has more flavor than the one above:
Cilantro Lime Rice
1 1/2 T. olive oil
1 c. rice
2 c. chicken broth
1/4 t. salt
1 med. lime
1/2 c. chopped, cilantro
Juice and zest lime. Heat oil in sauce pan over medium heat; add rice stirring to coat. Add broth and salt; increase heat and bring to boil. Stir once. Reduce heat to med-low; cover and cook 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes. Fluff rice and stir in line rind, juice and cilantro. Serves 4.

Café Rio Dressing
1 pkg. buttermilk ranch dressing
½-1 c. buttermilk (add to make desired consistency)
1 ¼ c. sour cream
Scant ¾ c. mayo
½ bunch cilantro leaves-no stems
1 clove garlic
Juice of 1 lime
Few drops of green tabasco
Place cilantro and buttermilk in blender and blend until cilantro is chopped finely. Add rest of ingredients and mix until blended. Let set approx. 30 min in fridge to thicken.

We like to put the meat, rice, dressing and some lettuce in a tortilla for a change too!
Feeds 2 big piggies and 2 little piggies for several meals- meat and rice freezes well!

5 comments:

Amy and Kris said...

YAY!! Thanks for those recipes!! Those look amazing & I can't wait to make it again!! My ranch recipe is different from yours but I guess there's a billion different ways, huh!! I will be adding these ingredients to my grocery list!!!

Terrie Ann said...

Hoping this will be a monthly addition to your blog. Think, you could call it,"Cooking with Melanie, you too can cook like me"
Thanks for the recipe-looks yummy.

KWK Clan said...

Kagen will be excited to have something new to try! Thanks for sharing!

Fullmer said...

Thank you so much! I've been wanting that recipe forever! So those pics of Brynne are so dang cute!!! WHO IS YOUR PHOTOGRAPHER!!! haha! Your family is so beautiful! Let's get together sometime soon, it's been forever!

Bonnie said...

Hi Melanie! I found your blog through Penni Jordan's. How are you? Your kids are so cute!!