Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Chemo here we come

     Scans, tests, more scans, and more tests....I think I have seen more doctors in the past three weeks than I have seen in my whole life. Monday I had a PET scan up at University of Utah Cancer Center. It showed that we made the right decision by not having the second surgery. Results showed that the cancer has spread more than we realized. It has moved not only to the retro peritoneal lymph nodes but it has moved up above the diaphragm, around the hilar region, the heart, lungs, trachea, and up into my neck.(BUMMER) So that means the surgery would not have been successful in getting all of it.
   I had a port placed today, PFT tests tomorrow, and Chemo starts Monday morning 8:00. It is funny how your total perspective on life can be changed so fast. Things that were seemingly important before just aren't anymore. I now take the time to watch the sunrise. I literally stop to smell the flowers in our yard, and I enjoy every moment I have with my wonderful wife and children. We have been so blessed! I don't feel that I deserve such blessings. They just keep coming. I have learned that I have good friends and family who really do care. It was nice to come home today to my yard done. A big thank you to who did it. You know who you are, and it meant a lot to me. Especially because you did it all by hand!!  We are doing well, as well as we can be.  Tired,,,,but well...

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brian our thoughts and prayers are with you and your beautiful family.

Katie D.

heath family said...

Brian and Melanie! You both are strong individuals and have a beautiful family. I have been extremly touched by this trial in your life. It makes me put things into persprective also. What a blessing it is to sit back and watch the sunrise and the sunset. Our prayers and thoughts are with you always.
Love, Harmony

Bobbidee said...

Oh my, we will keep you in our prayers. It is amazing how even your trial effects so many others. I am certainly more grateful now than I was before. We love you guys!!!

Fullmer said...

We love you guys and are praying for you daily. Hang in there and please let us know if we can help!

Jenn said...

You have such a great perspective. Thanks for sharing with us. We are praying for you and your sweet family.

Connie said...

I am heartsick!! I can't believe your amazing attitude. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Hang in there!! Love ya,
Connie and Garth

Shan said...

We will definitely keep you in our prayers. What challenges that come into life!.. I am amazed at how strong you both are! Hang in there and we will continue to pray for you.

Jackson Family said...

Melanie
Your family is my thoughts and prayers
I know a live far from you but I hope you know I would do anything you needed. I can tend kids, mow a lawn, make dinner, what ever it be please let me know !!
itsjustmeshannon@yahoo.com

Kristen's mom said...

Amazing how those things that seemed so important just don't really matter anymore.

Kristin said...

Just want you to know I'm thinking and praying for you guys and your beautiful little family.

Ashley said...

Thank you for sharing. Our thoughts and prayers and with you also! Your attitude is great and we will definently look at our lives differently. We hope we can help in any way!

Kate said...

I love being related to your amazing family! We all love you and pray for you in our every prayer... Please know that we are here for you in any way possible! Keep the FAITH!!

Kate said...

I hope it's ok, I found you guys and I'm commenting. We are thinking and praying for you!

Haley Kraaima said...

Mel and Brian...I had no idea nay of this was going on, I am so sorry that you are going through this, I hope everything turns for the better!

Haley Kraaima said...

That last comment is from Haley and Neil Kraaima, it says Evan for my google account

Deann H said...

We are thinking of you guys daily. Big hugs from us all.

Stacie said...

Wow. You are definitely in my thoughts and prayers. Some people are dealt huge trials in life and hopefully the blessings and miracles will pour down on you soon. Cancer is a very scary word, we just went through that process with my dad. Outcome was great. I pray yours will be too.
Stacie